Sunday 21 July 2013

TREATMENT BEGINS


I  flew to New Port Richie Florida a few weeks back. I had a consultation with Dr. Lawrence Hochman of Florida Cancer Affiliates regarding radiotherapy.

I am now back home in Georgia.  I am doing really good. I have no pain at all. I have attached some pictures for you.

The doctor’s office & staff
The office was not fancy by any means. But, It was clean, served free coffee, and a basket of tootsie rolls, other bite size candy for all. The staff, very patient-friendly as well.  Everyone called me by name. They were all kind, courteous and respectful.
Just to touch base briefly on this. My brother’s wife lost her 12 year battle to bone cancer a few years back. My brother accompanied her to 99% of treatment, doctors, & traveled out of state to the bone cancer research center. His comment on the doctor  and the staff was top notch. He told the doctor himself that he spent many days, years at facilities and by far Dr. Hochman excelled. This office also administers chemo to the cancer patients so there is a room full of the recliners that the patients sit in while receiving chemo.

The Doctor
Dr. Lawrence Hochman (he treated me as though I was his only patient),  
I found the doctor to be knowledgeable, pleasant and patient as I asked multiple questions. I saw him 3 times during that week. My consultation was on Monday. To my surprise I was able to begin treatment that same day. I was originally told on the phone that scheduling for the radiation room might be a few weeks after the consultation due to availability. I was prepared to fly home that day. Once it was determined that I was a good candidate for radiation the doctor said he would check to see if the radiation team could work me in. Praise God. They did.  The doctor did the drawing of the diseased area. Then I was introduced to the radiation team. One of the team members mention that they did radiation on quite a few of the hands (DC). The doctor sees all his patients on Tuesday. He wanted to see me again that day just to see if I had additional questions. Of course I did. Then he saw me on Friday just to see how I was doing..

Turns out my brother has DC  on his right hand. I noticed this when I 1st arrived to Florida. It doesn’t give him any problem. Dr. Hochman looked at his hand (no charge) and confirmed my suspicion to be correct.
On Tuesday when I met with the doctor the 2nd time. He had an intern with him. He had the intern look at my foot, feel the fibroma and he then explained it to the intern. He did the same with my brothers hand.

What to expect in the radiation room
The team worked fast & smart. They informed me of what they were doing each step of the way.
The head man of the radiation room gave me a permanent tattoo on the bottom of the foot. Looks like little dots. This way I did not have to worry about the marker wearing off.
Then the radiation team made a lead plate. (see picture below)
The plate went in the machine. ( see picture below)
The machine then went against the foot (see picture below) 
The team made sure everything was lined up just so
The team went to work on the computer inputting data.
Once they were ready for me I went back into the room, laid on the machine. The machine moved me into place.
The radiation took about 6 to 10 minutes. Maybe not even that long.

The cost
The consultation is$ 510.00. My insurance is Alliant. They paid all but the $50.00 co-pay. The radiation treatment $11,000.00 Insurance paid all but my $1000.00 deductible. The office will set up 12 month payment plan for the $1000.00 deductible with no interest if you want.

Insurance
Nikki was extremely helpful, she took care of all the insurance details before I ever arrived. She was fast, efficient at getting back to me, returning phone calls, etc. She told me since I would be flying in from out of town to go ahead and make the plane reservations. Once made I was to call her back and she would see to it that I would get in for a consultation. Nikki was a huge asset to my decision. I called her multiple times for multiple questions. Each call she treated me kind, courteous and respectful never once making me feel like I was a bother to her.
I did have BC/BS. My company changed providers July 1st. I was a bit concerned at that time. I mention this because BC/BS paid all but $60.00 toward the Transdermil Verapamil. Alliant paid all but $35.00.
Being as my  insurance is Georgia I was concerned that it would not cover treatment in another state.. From my understanding it comes down to how the office codes the treatment to the insurance.

Delta airlines
I was prepared to fly home on Monday same day as the consultation. Since it was a medical reason for staying Delta did not charge me to switch the departure day.

Chic Fil A
Every morning we drove from Cape Coral to New Port Richie. On our drive we would stop at the Chic-Fil-A in Clear Water. The staff there was unbelievably friendly. One particular lady stood out. Each day I walked in she called me by name. Thursday I had confided in her that I was on the way for radiotherapy and how thrilled I was at finding hope. She grabbed my hand and spoke words of encouragement. Then Friday when we walked in she stated it was customer appreciation day and because we had on black and white our meal was free. She told me she had been praying for me the night before and felt moved to tell me she believed I would be healed.

Transdermal Verapamil
As I stated in my first post I have been using the Transdermal Verapamil 15% gel (now going on 120 days)
By the advice of my doctor and at P.D.labs I am continuing the transdermal verapamil. This disease has a way of affecting everyone differently, some take to treatment better than others.  I choose not to take any chances. I want to tackle this disease at all angles.

A Special Thanks to Gary Manley & his blog
First off I want to say, Gary I am sorry you have to experience this disease. However, If not for the pain and suffering you encountered from this nasty disease I would not have found treatment. I want to thank you Gary for your consistent persistence in keeping all of us abreast on the new findings. The interviews with the doctors, interviews with the patients, sharing pictures, etc. This comforted me in my decision  every step of the way. It is a godsend that I have met you.



My 2nd round of radiation is scheduled for Sept. 2013.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Patty🌷Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I've been diagnosed with plantar fascial fibromatosis (only by the radiologist who read my MRI). I won't hear what my podiatrist thinks until my appointment in 5 wks. I've been off work (at an Animal Rescue) since October because of an injury to my heel. I have 3 weeks of physical therapy & a night splint. I'm hoping these treatments will help as I've been unable to walk without pain. I'm wearing a car boot because my podiatrist said to. We're you wearing one before radiation? If so which one? I love to dance & I'm a singer songwriter & was hoping to get my songs up to their best & perform. Alas I'm struggling to do normal things like the dishes etc.! Standing in the shower is definitely rough. I'm always standing in my toes so my balance is off, especially with the cam boot but the cushioning helps :). I pray it will heal & I'm so grateful to have found your posting! Thank you! 💗Tara

    ReplyDelete

  2. But Dr. Itua, Traditional Herbal Practitioner in Africa, Have cured for HIV which is extracted from some rare herbals. It is highly potential to cure AIDS 100% without any residue. Dr Itua herbal medicine has already passed various blogs on how he use his powerful herbals to heal all kind of diseases such as. Herpes, HIV,,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer, Diabetes, Hepatitis,Hpv,Weak ErectionLyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,

    Dementia.,Wart Remover,Cold Sore, Epilepsy, also his herbal boost immune system as well. I'm telling this because he uses his herbal medicine to cure me from hepatitis B and HIV, which i have being living for 9 months now with no side effect. The Herbal Medicine is just as good when drinking it although i have to use rest room after drinking it which I do not really care about because i just want to get the virus out of my body, I will recommend Dr Itua to anyone sick out here to contact Dr Itua with this following information.

    Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / info@drituaherbalcenter.com
    Whatsapp Or Call...+2348149277967.
    He might be late to respond because he always busy with patent, but he will surely get back to you with positive response.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been barren for so many years living without a child of mine. When I came in contact with Doctor Aluda and reach out to him, I actually make use of his herbal medicine. and it's indeed effective and powerful... I conceived few weeks after taking his natural herbs for 17 days as prescribed by him... And now I'm 3 weeks pregnant....so happy, reach him on whatsapp +2348145636867 or Email him on draludaharbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete